Joint Commission (TJC) Fluoroscopy Imaging Standards
The Joint Commission environment of care (EC.02.04.03) has proposed fluoroscopy standards which necessitate ongoing annual education for individuals who perform fluoroscopic examinations. Training must include:
- Safe procedures for the operation of the type of Fluoroscopy equipment used
- Specific training on the dose reduction techniques addressed in the Image Gently®, Image Gently-Step Lightly®, and Image Wisely® campaigns
- Minimize risks associated with selecting and using Fluoroscopy
- Ensure proper dosimetry and monitoring of workers in Fluoroscopy
- Assess radiation levels from Fluoroscopy, assuring they are ALARA
FluoroSafety offers multiple options which cover Image Gently®, Image Gently-Step Lightly®, and Image Wisely® techniques for reducing patient and staff radiation dose. Our courses also follow the recommendations of Report 168 of the National Commission on Radiation Protection (NCRP). The top quality educational programs from FluoroSafety meet requirements of The Joint Commission and also qualify for Self-Assessment CME (SA-CME) MOC credit for most ABMS member boards, including the ABIM, ABR, ABS, ABPMR, and ABA. Click here for more details on MOC.
Which course is right for you?
The Joint Commission allows leeway for hospitals to create their own guidelines. We recommend following Report 168 of the NCRP. Following NCRP, physicians who frequently use fluoroscopy or perform complex fluoroscopically guided procedures need the training provided in our Advanced Training Program: A Comprehensive Course in the Safe Use of Fluoroscopy, while those who use fluoroscopy only occasionally will benefit most from our Basic Training Course in the Safe Use of Fluoroscopy. Individuals who are interested in improving the patient safety culture in their department as a whole will benefit from our Establishing a Patient Safety Program activity.
FluoroSafety CME courses are focused on ease of access, content that is interactive and engaging, and achieving measurable results.